Tybee Island Lighthouse
|Official name:||Tybee Island Light Station|
Tybee Island, Georgia
Photograph © Robin Weiner. Courtesy of U.S. Newswire
|Maximum height||154 feet/46 meters|
- 1736: The first lighthouse is erected on Tybee Island.
- 1741: The lighthouse is destroyed by a storm.
- 1742: The second Tybee Island lighthouse is erected.
- 1772: The lighthouse is destroyed by a storm.
- 1773: The current Tybee Island lighthouse is erected.
- 1862: Confederate soldiers demolish the top third of the lighthouse.
- 1867: The top of the lighthouse is rebuilt, and extended in height. Some consider this to be the fourth Tybee Island light house.
- 1933 - The oil lamp is replaced by an electric lamp.
- 9 March 2003: The lighthouse is refurbished as part of a project by local preservation groups sponsored by the Hampton Inn hotel chain.